Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Ho Ho Ho

Merry Christmas all! It has been a flurry of Edmonds related activity in the house in the past couple of days and now that I’m thoroughly exhausted and with a couple of celebratory drinks warming me from the inside I felt it was time to blog. Apologies for poor grammar and spelling – I’m already embarrassed about how many attempts it took me to spell “thoroughly” right.

So, it’s been a while. I’m sure you have all been thoroughly (right first time!) too busy to worry about life in Edmonds land but just in case you are reading this to pass time once you are back at work I’ll fill you in.

Christmas eve I came home to work to find myself in 1966 – in my absence the neighbours had visited and dropped off a bottle of wine and chocolates. Emergency baking had to be done – Shortbread creams and cheese biscuits supplemented by Christmas cake (which was surprisingly good in my own raisin-despising and completely humble opinion). Both recipes were quite unremarkable – I could do with some decent biscuit cutters too. Cheese biscuits would be better made with Tasty rather than Edam but I think that observation could be true for life in general – of course it’s all about what’s in the fridge isn’t it.

Christmas day itself was an Edmonds extravaganza – turkey (Edmonds timings), sage and onion stuffing, Sausage stuffing, Xmas pudding, brandy butter (or hard sauce which I think sounds much more interesting – nice oxymoron) and Pav.

Turkey was pretty good – or so I’m told. Truth be known I’m mostly in a roast for the gravy. Anyway I cooked it upside down with foil under the breast until it was done then flipped it over, whipped the foil off and browned the breast. Husband said it was the best turkey he’d ever had. He’s not really one for random complements but he possibly has bad Turkey related memory recall as I can remember him saying that to his Mum over several previous Xmases. Lets just say it probably wasn’t the worst Turkey he’d ever had.

Stuffings – sage and Onion was better than Sausage and I expected it to be the other way around. If I figure out why in my pursuit of leftovers I’ll let you know.

Xmas pudding was pretty damn good really – although I’m not convinced that the big chunks of almond do anything for the experience. Lots of custard. I like custard more than gravy. If I ever need to get my jaw wired I’m going to be in heaven! Hard sauce was good but then it’s fat and alcohol so it was never going to be bad.

Pav was just a baby pav, not a 12 egg, 12” high, cloudlike confection. It was a 3 egg, 2” high albino field mushroom on steroids. The Husband went back for seconds though - but he feels about pav the way I feel about custard – and I’ve never met custard that I couldn’t find something good to say about.

And now, as they say, I’m spent. I’ve eaten so much that it hurts to yawn, I’m sure that some of you have been there too. Good night – Merry Xmas!

No comments: