Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Faux whitebait

Despite last nights uncertainty that there would be any activity on the edmonds front I got straight off the computer and straight into the kitchen. I'm such a trouper.

no baking though, that would have been silly. I found Mock Whitebait fritters. There does seem to be a reasonable amount of mock food in the Edmonds - mock chicken, mock crab. Can't be entirely sure why you would have mock chicken? Was there a chicken shortage in the mid 60's?

Anyway, mock whitebait fritters. What magical ingredient would you use instead of whitebait? Why grated potato of course! I was thinking rosti - mmmmm rosti. In reality it was a bit like corn fritters but without the corn. It would have been better with corn. I covered mine in mint jelly, the husband had katsu sauce and lime pickle - unsurprisingly these were not authentic serving suggestions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the mock chicken thing was because of the expense of the birds! When I was a child in the late fifties/early sixties (damn, I really am that old!) in our house chicken was only ever on the menu at Christmas, an extra special time for an extra special treat.

~Zeetra~ said...

Next tie you go to bake such a large cake. Next time use your roasting dish. SO you dont have to throw any batter away.
I love mock hiwtebait fritters, with onion and tomato sauce.. Yummy. My husband has them with fried onions, butter and sugar, its a Polish thing apprently..

Zeetra from Foodlovers.

Anonymous said...

My Mum won a cooking competition with these at Primary School in the late 30s so they must have been around even then. We used to have them often on Friday nights which was always a slap together kind of tea/dinner. I love them cooked in butter but this is a no-no these days so use olive oil with just a knob of butter for the flavour.
Thanks for the memories.