I have a confession to make. Sometimes I just can’t be bothered baking. I do tend to soldier on anyway but my heart isn’t in it. Times like these I tend to try and find something very very simple which I can cross off with a minimal effort. I find great joy in crossing things off.
I have been known to write items on to do lists purely so that I can cross them off. I suppose that is a very unproductive use of a productivity tool a bit like people who barter down their weight watchers points – oh well it wasn’t really a very big piece of cheesecake, and I did walk up a flight of stairs today after all, lets call it 8 instead of 18... – and then are dismayed that they fail to lose weight.

So I got home and made walnut filling. It was apricot jam and walnuts mixed together. I really had no need for filling but it was so easy that I could not resist. Cross that one off.
Swiss cream – now this was pretty. I’m not entirely sure whether I have mentioned the Husband’s love of pink food before? Well this was definitely in his preferred style. Strawberry jelly crystals and evaporated milk, an unusual combination but not entirely stomach turning.
Walnut layer cake – because you can never have
too many walnuts in one night. This was actually quite good, not overly walnutty. I served it with caramel filling which was pretty much fudge. I had expected something more like caramel square but it’s fair to say that everyone loves fudge.
It seems ironic that I start the night with the easiest thing I can find and end it with a layer cake with fudge icing. I guess sometimes you don’t feel like baking but once you start it’s not so bad…
I have been known to write items on to do lists purely so that I can cross them off. I suppose that is a very unproductive use of a productivity tool a bit like people who barter down their weight watchers points – oh well it wasn’t really a very big piece of cheesecake, and I did walk up a flight of stairs today after all, lets call it 8 instead of 18... – and then are dismayed that they fail to lose weight.
So I got home and made walnut filling. It was apricot jam and walnuts mixed together. I really had no need for filling but it was so easy that I could not resist. Cross that one off.
Swiss cream – now this was pretty. I’m not entirely sure whether I have mentioned the Husband’s love of pink food before? Well this was definitely in his preferred style. Strawberry jelly crystals and evaporated milk, an unusual combination but not entirely stomach turning.
Walnut layer cake – because you can never have
It seems ironic that I start the night with the easiest thing I can find and end it with a layer cake with fudge icing. I guess sometimes you don’t feel like baking but once you start it’s not so bad…
1 comment:
Ahh that pink pudding certainly brings back some fond memories as a kid. My mother made that for us as an easy pudding quite regularly. Actually so often I just the picture of it made me feel a little ill! I think this blog is fantastic and very funny. I am of the generation of the newer version of Edmonds, but my mother faithfully cooked from the '66 version and I recognise many of these recipes. Awesome stuff!
Post a Comment