Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Here's one I prepared earlier

Friday night – time to use some of the prepared chicken meat. I managed to hold back from saying “here’s one I prepared earlier”. Only just.

As a small child I was very fussy. There were lots of things I would not eat. I blame this on poor parenting – no not really Mum! I wouldn’t eat – cooked fruit – stuff in tins included, jam, onions, tomatoes – in any form including sauce, peas, pizza (it had a funny smell which I have now figured out was the capsicums), hamburgers (because of the tomato sauce), pumpkin, poached and fried eggs, raisins and so on. I’m sure there is more, I was very fussy. Of course now I don’t eat Pork, tomatoes, capsicum, peas (although I will if forced), raisins, most shellfish and so on, so I am still comparatively fussy.

As a fussy child, sleepovers were fraught affairs. I generally had to manage my way through dinner and breakfast. Pineapple chicken would have been one of those meals that I would have been concerned about facing. It strikes me as something quite New Zealand – Pineapple cooked in a gooey cornflour sauce with chicken – and just one of those things that my Mum fed me. Perhaps it’s because she was a scottish immigrant? Not too many pineapples, tinned or otherwise, in the Shetland Isles perhaps? I’ll ask her why she never subjected me to fruit and meat combinations.

So several years down the track how am I coping? Not so bad. Better than I imagined anyway. It’s not all that bad, I certainly wouldn’t have made it by choice and I wouldn’t go back for seconds but I survived. The Husband thought it was fantastic fair to say he won’t be getting used to pineapple chicken while I’m around!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha. I too was a fussy eater as a child.

Now as a Mum I realise that for kids it is often a sensory thing, and that changes as we mature

As a kid I would not eat anything slimey, so this included anything with cornflour globs in it (still wont touch it today and use Arrowroot as a thickener instead), fat on meat (still cut it ALL off), gravy... well most things in sauce haha. Oh and jelly!

Wish I had found your blog in January not October!

Oh well, lots of back reading to do haha.