Another Saturday night and I’m cooking Edmonds. Not for much longer though – 9 weeks to go! I think I am on track now – fingers crossed.
Overnight pudding – naturally I started this on Friday. The Edmonds seems to assume you have enough time to do things that it is ok to leave things overnight and do them the next day. What a telling change in our lifestyles.
I had expected that this would just be doing something with the fruit and leaving it overnight. Oh no. The whole thing gets made up and left overnight. Very odd. It did seem to work ok however, it was quite light in fruit content and with masses of finely sliced lemon peel. Not bad really, possibly a little heavy texture wise for my liking but we can’t all be perfect.
Steak and kidney pud. The defining icon of culinary times gone by. It actually wasn’t too bad, a little stodgy in terms of the pastry – in fact there seemed to be a little too much pastry for the quantity of meat. I passed some off to my Stepmother and the husband ate the majority of the remainder. Turns out he actually doesn’t mind steak and kidney, something I would never have known without Edmonds.
Savoury steak paste. Meat, onions and Worcester sauce cooked in a double boiler for a couple of hours and then minced (put through the food processor). Again the Husband likes this also. There was a time when he hated everything Edmonds related that I fed him. That time seems to have been a long time ago. Admittedly I did tell him it was something like Pate – it sounds better than steak paste.
And lastly, I’m ashamed to admit it but it turned out that I didn’t manage to have any of the cooking ready in time for dinner so I made a bet with the husband that I could make the tartare sauce before he got back with the fish and chips. Chopped capers + Mayo meant that I had actually made the Tartare sauce in the time he was on the phone to the chip shop. I’m the very model of efficiency.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment