Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Custard Kind of Sin

I have mentioned before, I think, that I quite like custard. It follows then, that I also like a custard square. However I know have to hang my head in shame as I am a convicted custard square murderer.

It started relatively well. It is quite challenging to roll out the two pieces of pastry to the same sort of shape and then bake them without burning them. That is quite good for me. However when it came to making the custard I got distracted. This so often happens with me. By the time I remembered about it, it was not burnt but there were little brown specs in the custard. This is not good.

The workaround, I figured, was to make chocolate custard squares. It disguised the brown bits but unfortunately brown custard squares do not look the best. At all. I was so embarrassed that I sent them to work with the husband. I got an email halfway through the day asking exactly what was in the custard squares, I duly ignored it.

No comments: