Sunday, September 7, 2008

Home alone

Saturday was supposed to be sunny. They went on about it on the news and in the papers. It was going to be the first fine weekend we were going to have since May. It rained.

The Husband had abandoned me and gone skiing – naturally it was beautifully sunny down the line – so I had free rein to make all the mess I wanted. Time to make some jam.

I think I’ve mentioned before that I don’t like jam. It turns out that this is almost entirely true. It turns out that I LOVE blackcurrant jam. I made it with frozen blackcurrants you buy at the supermarket. One bag was enough to make three jars which I didn’t think was too bad a deal. And it set beautifully. And you can eat it by the spoonful just like Thursday’s mayo – don’t use the same spoon though. I’m in love.

I had envisaged myself lying on the couch all weekend reading a book, perhaps sipping a little something. In reality I spent the whole weekend cleaning. This left me with an issue. I wanted the Husband to appreciate all of the work I’d done but I didn’t want to set a precedent – he goes away for a weekend skiing; I clean. Not a good direction to be taking the marriage!

So while I was cleaning I thought I might as well have the oven going. I opted for birthday cakes – I did have the option of other fruit related baking but it appeared that there is a currant shortage at the supermarket. Not a single currant at New World. Very concerning.
Birthday cake is actually a very solid fruit cake. Sizeable too – 7 eggs. You may have heard my opinions on raisins before, I would be highly disappointed to get this for my Birthday! Not least (aside from the raisins) because it had a nice black layer on the sides and bottom. Ooops. It’s like I’m taking my revenge on dried fruit one carbonised fruit cake at a time.

No comments: