I made a near fatal Edmonds related mistake. I did a count. There are now fewer than 12 whole weeks until the end of the Edmonds! EEEEK. This leaves me with no fewer than 13.3 recipes to do each week. And I thought 10 was challenging! This means I now have to effectively cook two Edmonds related dishes every night for the next three months. It sounds so much more depressing when I put it that way.
Not to mention that I had spent all Saturday at the Champ Wag n’ walk lifting heavy boxes, painting faces and getting slobbered on. It was a 5.30 wake up call. At a push you could probably say I was a morning person, but not that kind of a morning person! I did the count when I was crashed out on the couch at 7pm. It ruined my relaxation somewhat!
So on Sunday I dragged my carcass out of bed and commenced cooking. The Husband had somehow negotiated more weekend release to go skiing, this time at the club fields just out of chch. I had to pick him up at 10pm and barely made it to and from the airport conscious but at least it gave me a free day without any complaints over the state of the kitchen.
I like to get a few recipes out of the way to get my numbers up and my confidence up also. I therefore picked on Custard and Custard Savoury from the invalids section. Not too challenging – milk and egg (with the addition of cooked mixed diced veg for the savoury version) steamed. Now, I am a self proclaimed custard addict but this stuff was completely safe from me. Must have been the complete lack of sugar. The invalids section continues to mirror hospital food in the worst way possible.
One of my most exciting recipe adventures was the billy sponge. It was in this spirit I made the billy currant loaf. It was a loaf, with currants, cooked in a billy. Except I don’t have a billy so it was cooked in a cast iron casserole. This had very odd texture almost like a big pancake. Slightly spooky. Would not do again.
I also made stewed prunes with the intention of making prune whip. I have not yet made the prune whip so the prunes are still in my fridge. I am hoping they will be ok.
You can never make to many cold puddings. Vanilla snow was a blancmange mixed with beaten egg whites and set in the fridge. I fed it to the husband a couple of days later after it had got lost behind the stewed prunes! He seemed to enjoy it and he is still alive. Currently however he is roaming the ceiling cavity so I hope he doesn’t succumb to the vanilla snow up there as it will be a real pain to get his corpse through all the spider webs and back down the little trap door.
Florentine caramel is flavoured with ginger and coconut. I think it is meant to be more of a soft caramel but I overcooked it and turned it into fudge. It was still fine! Everyone loves fudge so no harm done I figure.
Not to mention that I had spent all Saturday at the Champ Wag n’ walk lifting heavy boxes, painting faces and getting slobbered on. It was a 5.30 wake up call. At a push you could probably say I was a morning person, but not that kind of a morning person! I did the count when I was crashed out on the couch at 7pm. It ruined my relaxation somewhat!
So on Sunday I dragged my carcass out of bed and commenced cooking. The Husband had somehow negotiated more weekend release to go skiing, this time at the club fields just out of chch. I had to pick him up at 10pm and barely made it to and from the airport conscious but at least it gave me a free day without any complaints over the state of the kitchen.
One of my most exciting recipe adventures was the billy sponge. It was in this spirit I made the billy currant loaf. It was a loaf, with currants, cooked in a billy. Except I don’t have a billy so it was cooked in a cast iron casserole. This had very odd texture almost like a big pancake. Slightly spooky. Would not do again.
I also made stewed prunes with the intention of making prune whip. I have not yet made the prune whip so the prunes are still in my fridge. I am hoping they will be ok.
You can never make to many cold puddings. Vanilla snow was a blancmange mixed with beaten egg whites and set in the fridge. I fed it to the husband a couple of days later after it had got lost behind the stewed prunes! He seemed to enjoy it and he is still alive. Currently however he is roaming the ceiling cavity so I hope he doesn’t succumb to the vanilla snow up there as it will be a real pain to get his corpse through all the spider webs and back down the little trap door.
Florentine caramel is flavoured with ginger and coconut. I think it is meant to be more of a soft caramel but I overcooked it and turned it into fudge. It was still fine! Everyone loves fudge so no harm done I figure.
Orange scones sounded better than the reality. There was a lot of orange zest in these - 4 tbsp – but yet not a lot of orange flavour. They did smell great when they were cooking though, which explains why there was no flavour. Still, wads of butter does miracles for almost anything.
1 comment:
I've just tried the Florentine Caramel - still came out like fudge even though I used a candy thermometer. Surely two of us can't have screwed it up!! (PS it was still delicious.)
Post a Comment