Sunday was detox day as we tried to get some of the fat out of our systems. I headed to the invalids section for inspiration
Mutton broth. I had bought half a leg of mutton from the Mad Butcher for making “colonial goose” which had to be tunnel boned. I used the bones to make the mutton broth from the invalids section. It was really lovely – a nice strong meaty flavour but not at all sheepy. Once the stock was fully flavoured I added vegetables and cooked them until tender. The whole lot was then put through a sieve. It was a nice soup. Personally I’m not sure I would have bothered with the sieving business but it was nice.
Pelorus cake. Yet another fruit cake – but like tennis cake it didn’t have many raisins and was more about the cherries and peel. I may have slightly overcooked it but that was rectified by me shaving a layer off the bottom.
Baked apple dumplings. These were really good! Apples peeled and cored sprinkled with sugar and wrapped in something similar to scone dough. Take several of these, put them in a dish, add sugar syrup to cover halfway up the apples, bake. The apples were meltingly soft inside their cakey little cases. Mmmmmmmm.
One has do have something custardy with ones apple dumplings. I managed to find brandy sauce – make white sauce, add sugar and brandy. It wasn’t bad but very strongly brandy flavoured! We took the dumplings and sauce to my stepmother’s place for dinner and it turned out she already had custard prepared so it had to bring it home again – good thing we didn’t get pulled over, the strong brandy fumes in the car would have been highly suspicious!
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment