Sunday, April 13, 2008

Not Saturday night fever

I haven’t had any comments about the spelling – surely I haven’t been perfect… Come on people, give me a hand here.

Continuing on with my exciting social life Saturday night was also a good night for baking. I feel the need to point out that I do go out during the week. I do have a life outside of Edmonds. Honestly.

Anyway, since we were going to be hanging out at home I thought we should have some truly exciting cuisine. Cornish pasties! How exciting! These were actually relatively easy to make – especially when you have prepared your pastry earlier. Sliced beef shin, potato and onion into the pastry. Cooked for 30 minutes. Perfect. We had broccoli as well – complete and balanced diet with added lard.

Seeing I had to drag a 650g pack of meat out of the freezer and only used 4oz of it I needed to make something else as well. Beef curry. Curry in that fantastic non-specific way that white people do. It even had apples in which seemed a little odd to me – perhaps someone can fill me in on that one. It also advised me I could add coconut and raisins if I wanted to – I didn’t think I’d take the opportunity.

Well the curry cooked away happily all night but we haven’t actually eaten it, what with being full from all the pasties and broccoli so I think it will have to go into the freezer for one of those nights when the husband “cooks”. That is truly unkind, he makes a damn good spag bol which is well appreciated when I’m over cooking.

Truth is that we were not actually full from our mains – there was still space for a little dessert. Due to my continued shortage of kitchen string and hence lack of ability to steam anything we had apple ginger sponge. Similar to last weeks apple sponge but different – almost gingerbready due to the golden syrup and ginger. Not bad.

I did feel we had been overdoing the custard a little recently and maybe neglecting the other sweet sauces. I managed to find a recipe which looked truly frightening - white sauce (sweet). In reality when I had a little think about it white sauce and custard aren’t all that vastly different. Apart from the deathly pale colour it was not all that different to custard although it was a little thicker.

Also it did get a little brown on the bottom of the pan and I had finished making it a little before the apple sponge was ready and so when I let it stand the brown bottom bits softened up and came off into the sauce. Visually not fantastic but it didn’t seem to affect the flavour (or lack of).
Post dessert I decided to polish off another recipe and made a quick bacon and egg pie – again for the freezer. I love bacon and egg pie and as I am currently on a self enforced regimen of soft foods due to the football injury it will be squirreled away for a time when I am able to make my back teeth meet. The husband is trying to convince me to go to the doctor now that the 1 week mark has passed – I can see his point but what is the doctor going to do about it – they can’t even tape my jaw up, well hopefully that isn’t an option.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie - just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I've been away for five weeks and have just caught up on the goings on in your kitchen. Hope the jaw comes right - in the meantime, more custard anyone?