Yes we won the quiz. Yes we are highly intelligent life forms. Apparently my spelling hasn’t improved but no one can be bother with digital feedback. I can kind of understand that.
Some days a girl just needs to make yankie doodle cake. Monday was that day for me. There aren’t nearly enough oddly named recipes anymore, I’m thinking of starting a campaign. Yankie doodle cake contains minced raisins. After telling the third or fourth person this I switched to saying finely chopped raisins which sounds infinitely preferable. Now you may have heard that I don’t like raisins but this was not bad cake, not bad at all.
Yankee doodle cake also required specifically to be filled with mock cream. I picked the mock cream (1) which is made with cornflour goo - as seen on the left of the photo. It came out surprisingly well, in fact I probably would repeat which is a shock even to me. It also
required fruit icing. I went with lemon. All in all it was a lovely lovely cake.
On a cake related note the lovely Jenna has sourced for me, from the U S of A, 6” sandwich tins – let the baking begin!
Now I couldn’t turn up after a baking night with only one offering, no matter how spectacular. I also turned out a batch of nutties which are like peanut brownies but not brown. More like peanut gingas I suppose – now there is a name that is sure to catch on. They were very very tasty.
I also made Meringues because I felt like eating meringue mixture. Sometimes it is just that simple! I had to alter the cooking time and temperature slightly as I felt like going to bed rather than sitting up to watch my meringues cook. They turned out well though.
I have had some suggestion from my work mates that they would like to see a little savoury cuisine introduced into my regime. I did spy the cocktail sandwich section – marmite and cress anyone? Date and lemon juice?
Yankee doodle cake also required specifically to be filled with mock cream. I picked the mock cream (1) which is made with cornflour goo - as seen on the left of the photo. It came out surprisingly well, in fact I probably would repeat which is a shock even to me. It also
On a cake related note the lovely Jenna has sourced for me, from the U S of A, 6” sandwich tins – let the baking begin!
Now I couldn’t turn up after a baking night with only one offering, no matter how spectacular. I also turned out a batch of nutties which are like peanut brownies but not brown. More like peanut gingas I suppose – now there is a name that is sure to catch on. They were very very tasty.
I also made Meringues because I felt like eating meringue mixture. Sometimes it is just that simple! I had to alter the cooking time and temperature slightly as I felt like going to bed rather than sitting up to watch my meringues cook. They turned out well though.
I have had some suggestion from my work mates that they would like to see a little savoury cuisine introduced into my regime. I did spy the cocktail sandwich section – marmite and cress anyone? Date and lemon juice?
2 comments:
Actually, date, lemon juice and cream cheese is really nice. But then I suppose that's not really following the recipe is it :(
This post was up so many years ago I don't know if you will receive this, but many many years ago my mother used to make the Yankee Doodle cake for my husband. Now I would like to make it but am unable to find the recipe - my Edmonds cookbook is too new! If you are able to email the recipe I would really appreciate it.'
Thanks, Jan
Post a Comment