Ok, so I’ve been slack. I freely admit that. However, in my defence, I have had medical issues. Slightly over enthusiastic defending in football has led to pain in my shoulder. According to the physio today I have a pinched nerve in my neck, something wrong with my rotator cuff and a non specific issue with my shoulder. In other signs that things are not going my way I had hoped for a hot young physio and had been gifted a lovely older gentleman - balding, glasses and a limp. I think I have karma issues, perhaps I should be a nicer person?
So the shoulder injury actually makes it physically uncomfortable to use the computer. I am putting my body on the line for this. I am also putting a healthy BMI rating on the line as well and it is rapidly going out the window. It would appear there is an inverse proportion of baking to visible waist – that is as baking continues, waistline slowly disappears.
Enough with the excuses I hear you cry. Oh alright, I reply wearily.
Might I also add that my workplace has blocked blog spot so my readership has presumably dropped away to nothing. Hands up if you’re still there!
We were up to Sunday a couple of weeks ago, the Sunday of queens birthday to be precise. I have discovered, as I think I may have mentioned before that the key to this whole thing is to try to wrap lots of little recipes into one big recipe. Well on Sunday I cooked fish.
I had been gifted, from work (see it’s not all blocked websites), a couple of bags of frozen hoki fillets – the proper ones, no crumbs. I decided to make fish timbales. Why? Who knows, seemed like a good idea at the time I guess. Fish timbales requires cooked fish, I figured I cooked cook it in multiple ways. Apparently I am smarter than I sound…
First cook your fish. I decided on boiling and steaming. Now steaming is fairly straight forward. Boiling however requires you to tie the fish up in cloth before plunging it into boiling water. A little odd but it did the job. Both lots of fish were adequately cooked at any rate.
The fish was then flaked and added to a liquidy mixture of breadcrumbs milk and egg yolks, into which was folded egg whites. This my friend is fish timbales. After baking these actually weren’t too bad. A bit like an overly puffy fish omelette. Lets just say the husband and I have had worse. Serving suggestion was tomato sauce, the husband was more than happy to oblige.
What comes next is a bit more embarrassing. Actually, to be honest, and this doesn’t happen often, perhaps this is the real reason why I haven’t updated in a while. I had a bit of a failure.
To give you some background, I have tried and failed to make mayonnaise in the past. I did however think that I was somewhat older and wiser now and I would be able to crack it without any problems. I was wrong.
I tried no less than three times to make it. Three times it split on me. I am in a position now where I will gladly take instruction from anyone happy to teach. Please, I am not one to deal with failure well.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We blocked your blogspot? No-one has told my computer! RL
My hand's up as I'm still here - keep it coming :)
Lynette
P.S. God gave us food processors so that our mayonnaise wouldn't split!
Two hands- not a bad effort.
"RL" - Yes they did block it! I promise! You must be one of the "special ones"...
Lynette, i did consider the use of the food processor but I felt it would be cheating. More to the point the thought of having to clean it left me with thoughts of self harm.
I think there is a real market out there for a food processor that is easy to clean, doesn't take up too much room and has attachments that don't break as soon as they look at a slightly firm vegetable.
Ignore the instructions and bung all the food processor bits into the dishwasher - I've been doing it for years and my food processor usually dies before the bowl. :)
Lynette
Post a Comment