Sunday, June 22, 2008

A draw's as good as a win

One afternoon tea party does not make an Edmonds so Sunday I was up and at’m and ready to do it all again. As a preface to the baking part of the story I feel it necessary to say that our soccer team had our first game where we did not lose. It may have been a nil-nil draw but after a 9 game losing streak it felt like a win to us!

And what is my reward – well I get to come home and bake. Lucky me. I even get to do the dishes. My joy knows no bounds.

Sunday, as you regular readers of the blog – I think there are one or two of you out there in the darkness – will know is the day I fill the tins for work. This Sunday (or actually not this Sunday, not last Sunday but the Sunday before – I am a little behind on my blogging) was no different.

One egg chocolate sponge is a chocolate sponge made with – wait for it – ONE EGG. Where do they get these names from. I made it, it was pretty good – my master plan was to fill it with whipped cream – this was not to be.

I’ve made most of the mock cream recipes in the Edmonds and by and large they have been pretty good. I’m not adverse to a bit of mock cream – in particular in a ginger kiss – mmmmmm. Anyway, I digress. This mock cream recipe was foul.

If a recipe ever tells you to mix gelatine and evaporated milk just don’t do it. Don’t. Please. It was very bad. I even gave it the benefit of the doubt and used it to fill the chocolate sponge. I then came to my senses and scraped it out 5 minutes later.

Loch Katrine cake – somewhat more esoterically named than “one egg chocolate sponge” this was a layer of sdcone like pastry topped with jam and nuts and topped off with a sponge. Again it seemed ok – the numbers of Edmonds things with two layers separated by jam an walnuts is beginning to become a little bit of a blur to me.


Pineapple snow. I don’t know whether pineapple jelly was more popular in times gone by but you certainly don’t seem to be able to find it now – I used lemon instead. Pineapple snow is almost set jelly and egg white beaten together and then poured over pineapple pieces and left to set. It could have been better – it was a bit like trying to eat air. If there is any way that eating air sounds like a good idea – believe me it’s not! I grew bored with mine and gave up after half a bowl, the husband persevered longer.

No comments: