Wow, this is an absolutely inappropriate time of year for baking. I’ve been holding out on account of the excessive temperatures but last night I finally cracked and did some baking.
Lemon biscuits – not fantastically lemony to be fair. Back in 1966 they seemed to really go in for using essence rather than actual fruit, so lemon biscuits contain no actual lemon. I wonder if there were 1966 housewives basking away with their lemon essence while all the actual lemons were outside rotting on the lawn? Lemon essence also smells oddly unlike actual lemons.
So the lemon biscuits were little white, roll out in a sheet, cut out, type biscuits. Rolling and cutting is a little more challenging in these climactic conditions but we persevere. And I cut them out with little wavy cutters. How exciting!
I sandwiched them together with jam – actually I sandwiched some of them together with jam and some with conserve because – fanfare please – I re-boiled my conserve and added a little extra pectin and it has set like a charm. This is actually very exciting for me! Now I have 7 jars of non-runny conserve which I have no idea what to do with – perhaps I should become a black market conserve dealer – jars selling at $3 a pop, you know where to find me!
I also made date bars. These were – half of the cakey mixture spread in the bottom of a shallow tin (no dimensions of course), sprinkled lightly with dates and almonds then the rest of the mix spread over the top and baked. Came up surprisingly cakey – tonight I have to ice it with chocolate icing and sprinkle chopped dates over the top – will be interesting to see the final result.
Friday, January 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment