Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Comeback



I feel like a paragon of virtue. 4 recipes in one night. If I was a man I would be THE man.

And no disasters! Fantastic!

Hokey pokey biscuits – I have just learned, since bringing these into the office this morning, that Hokey Pokey biscuits are quite a well renowned thing. And here is me never having heard of them before. I feel shamed.

Anyway, this seems like quite a good recipe – the mixture was a little soft – probably as a result of the 40C temperature in the kitchen, possibly as a result of me getting confused between tea cups and breakfast cups and so only putting 3/4C instead of a 1C of flour. I added more flour until I got to the right consistency and put the dough in the freezer before I rolled it into balls.

I did manage to put them in the oven and then forget about them – just remembering about them when they were perfectly cooked. You might think it’s luck, I’m going to call it skill. (That's them in the foreground, spice cake in the background)

Pickled onions – pickled onions may be the first thing that is cheaper to make rather than buy. The Husband is a HUGE pickled onion fan. I’m not so sure this is a good thing. He surprisingly was quite happy to peel all the onions, I was very happy to hand that job over! All the onions are now in a bucket on the kitchen floor soaking in their brine, ready for bottling tonight.

Coffee cake – coffee sponge basically. Seemed to go fairly well, did require the beating separately of yolks and whites which I’m not a big fan of but I’ll survive. Came out as two thinish layers – I always seem to want the layers to be thicker than they turn out. I think I have bakery envy.This was sandwiched together with coffee icing. Turns out I’m not a big fan of coffee icing – it’s a beaten icing but I was expecting something entirely more fluffy and fantastic. It was barely enough to fill and cover the cake.

So all in all a rather productive night, now all we have to do is eat it all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello cousin debbie,
mavis told us about your project, seems like you've got quite a mission, nice work.

cousin matt.

Anonymous said...

they look quite good you could send them to me if you want.

cousin matty.

Anonymous said...

I made some hokey pokey biscuits. Edmonds. Are they suppose to be really crunchy or more soft? I was waiting until the top got a lovely brown but didnt happen the way they look in the photo and now I'm wondering whether I over cookd them. How long did you bake them for?

I can cook other biscuits fairly well but with the edmonds ones, it's always hit and miss.

Debbie said...

Hi Nessa
They are more of a soft biscuit I think, I don't have a huge amount of experience with them but I did cook a couple until they were brown and they were definitely overcooked. I know there are no useful pictures to help you along with what things are supposed to turn out like and the descriptions can be a little vague. Keep up the good work though.