Friday, August 22, 2008

Just killing time...

Please excuse my substandard blogging tonight. I am trying to keep myself awake in order to take my best friend to the airport. The flight leaves at 3.15am. No wonder it was a bargain.

This might appear beyond the call of duty but it isn’t. The full story involves me telling her the wrong day to pick us up from the airport post-Japan and her circling for 90 minutes or so. This is payback. What’s a little sleep deprivation between friends.

Quiz last night and we annihilated the opposition – even with my boyfriend from 10 years ago turning up as the surprise quiz master. If we don’t lose in that situation be must almost be invincible.

So I have a few hours to kill, I figured I should really do some baking.

Cinnamon sponge finger would have been fingers if I’d had finger tins but I only had Madeline tins. I’m sure it’ll be ok, I don’t think it’s bad baking karma. They are good, I’ve unintentionally eaten a couple though which is not good. They are supposed to be served with cream but that won’t be happening so people will have to enjoy the cinnamony goodness unembellished.

Orange cake. It’s a cake, it’s orange. There really is very little else to say I’m afraid.

Orange filling. I was going to put this in the orange cake but I thought it might be orange overload. Quite an odd recipe this – make up a really thick paste with cornflour, sugar, orange zest and water, cook until it’s a big glossy mass. Add butter. Beat into an egg. Cook again. Add orange and lemon juice. I’m unsure just how it’s going to end up but I guess we’ll see. I’m going to put it into the caroline cake…

Caroline cake. An odd name I’m hoping that perhaps it’s a place rather than a person. Another opportunity to use my fantastic 6” sandwich tins. It is two gingery layers at the moment. Soon to be two gingery layers with an orangy bit in between. Odd but possibly survivable.
I think it’s time to hit the road jack…

No comments: